Login

Register

Proposed Bobs garage design does not serve slugs
  • Thomas Keirnan

Proposed Bobs garage design does not serve slugs

by Thomas Keirnan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:12 pm

Slugs, planned Bobs parking lot design does not serve us. It is designed as a bus transit center with 7 bus bays. Contact your supervisor to eliminate bus bays in the new design. With the 395 HOV going HOT, all 1100 spaces at Bobs parking lot will be full on day one when it is completed.
  • Jeffrey C. McKay, Lee District Supervisor

by Jeffrey C. McKay, Lee District Supervisor » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:41 am

Response from Supervisor Jeff McKay

All,
    The Springfield Parking Garage Project has become a top County priority and is being developed collaboratively through a multi-departmental team and community input.

The Fairfax County Comprehensive Plan recommended a commuter parking facility with a multi–modal transportation center to meet long term parking, carpooling, and transit needs as well as additional space for community serving uses. In 2014, Fairfax County completed a feasibility study for a multi-use commuter parking facility and transit center and is planned to be constructed on the existing surface commuter parking lot owned by the County on Old Keene Mill Road west of I-95.

The county currently owns and maintains the existing surface parking lot of 278 spaces and leases an additional 262 spaces in the immediate area. The leased spaces are not guaranteed for the indefinite future but this project allows Fairfax County to permanently secure and consolidate commuter parking at one location that will increase park and ride capacity for bus and carpooling (slug) services, provide bicycle storage, passenger waiting lines, and transit system information.

This garage is critical to meeting the growing needs of sluggers and the community. The design features a five story structure with approximately 1,100 commuter parking spaces and 7 bus bays with short-term parking for drop off and pick up. A pedestrian bridge will provide a safe way to cross Old Keene Mill Road to connect the garage to Springfield Plaza and will offer additional commuter parking capacity to meet the high and growing demand in the Springfield area, as well as incorporating a community event area in the parking garage. Design is in progress, and construction is anticipated to begin in fall 2019 with the facility opening in early 2022.

There have been multiple public meetings as well as a design public hearing at the Board of Supervisors and I have heard from residents about their concerns. I will continue to work closely with county transportation staff to ensure that those needs are accounted for in the final design. What hasn’t been decided and what we are seeking thoughts on are the options for what to do during construction which is still many months away. So, the County is reaching out to the community to help identify alternate, temporary parking for the users of the existing park-and-ride lot to use during the construction period.

The total project estimate is $63.81 million, and is fully funded by the Federal Transit Administration, Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program (Federal Highway Administration), and the Fairfax County Commercial and Industrial Tax. For your information, I have attached more information about the specific documents that were requested by the community. Further questions and comments are welcome by emailing my office at leedist@fairfaxcounty.gov . You may also submit questions and comments via the form on this web page at https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fcdot/springfieldgarage.htm, in writing to FCDOT, 4050 Legato Road, Suite 400, Fairfax, VA 22033; or by calling 703-877-5600.

While some sacrifices may have to be made in order for the project to benefit the most residents possible, I am confident that the final structure will make commutes more convenient and more comfortable for all residents, regardless of their method of transportation.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey C. McKay
    Lee District Supervisor
  • Ray Atkinson

by Ray Atkinson » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:39 am

Dear Supervisor McKay:

I am glad to hear you are listening to the concerns of the community. I submitted public comments after the August meeting, which are copied below for your reference. I would still like to understand what the reference to "20 commuter (slug) spaces" means. At face value it sounds like there will only be 20 parking places for people who slug to work. It would be a monumental mistake to design this facility without adequate planning to accommodate slug lines. Traffic, which is already extremely bad, will become horrendous if slug lines are abandoned in Springfield. The bus is not a suitable alternative.

Best,
    Ray Atkinson

Bhinge, Deepak <Deepak.Bhinge@fairfaxcounty.gov>
    Apr 26

to Ray, Michael
    Mr. Atkinson – Thank you for your comments. We will include responses to your comments as part of the Public Hearing Comment Summary.

Thanks again.

Deepak Bhinge, P.E., PMP
    Project Manager, Building Design Branch
    Building Design and Construction Division, DPWES
    12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 449
    Fairfax, Virginia 22035
    Deepak.Bhinge@fairfaxcounty.gov
    703-324-8770 direct
    703-609-3963 cell

Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 7:54 AM
    To: Bhinge, Deepak <Deepak.Bhinge@fairfaxcounty.gov>
    Subject: Public comment on Springfield Community Business Center Commuter Parking Garage

Dear Mr. Bhinge:

I have two concerns with this planned project, and I would like to have these comments submitted for the record:

1. In the Public Meeting Minutes - Aug. 17, 2016 it says "Parking will be free when the garage opens up per current County policy. The garage is designed for a pay system that can be opened up later if required.​" It is important that this lot remains free for commuters to park. If not it would limit participation in the current slug line, which is extremely beneficial from commuter, environmental and traffic perspectives.

2. Given that the project will take more than two years to complete after contract award, I'm concerned that parking will become difficult and will push people away from the slug line. We are seeing this now with DC Metro as they have caused major disruptions to the commute with Safe Track. Riders, including me, have abandoned Metro, and once they've found alternative forms of transportation they are unlikely to return. I would hate to see this happen with the slug line at Old Keene Mill Road. We need to have ​adequate​ commuter parking available at this location throughout the construction process.

Thank you for your consideration of these comments.

Best,

Ray Atkinson
  • Erin

by Erin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:20 pm

Response from Pat Herrity's office regarding the garage design is below. Write to him!

Hi Ms. Scronce,

Supervisor Herrity and I discussed your email and he has asked me to obtain some answers from FCDOT—we received an email from another constituent sharing similar concerns early this week. Early on in the project when he learned it was to be multi-modal he was told there would be no adverse impact to slugging and at this point it appears there will be. He said that slugging started when his father was in office and it is efficient and something the county needs to be encouraging. He does not think that the garage fits that bill at this point. I will follow up with you when Sup. Herrity has received the information he requested from staff.

Peyton Onks
    Senior Legislative Aide
    OFFICE OF SUPERVISOR PAT HERRITY
    Fairfax County Board of Supervisors
    6140 Rolling Road
    Springfield, Virginia 22152
    Telephone: (703) 451-8873

Here is the text of my email. Feel free to crib from it or copy/paste if you want.

Dear Mr Herrity,

I am writing as a concerned citizen of Springfield regarding the proposed construction of a new parking garage and transportation center on Old Keene Mill Rd (New Springfield Community Business Center Commuter Parking Garage).

As you might be aware, this location is known to many in the community as "Bob's", and for 30+ years has been a hub for car poolers traveling to and from DC each day (slugs).

The proposed design of this new garage puts slugging under threat in many ways:

-There is not enough proposed parking. It allows for 1,000 spaces, which will barely cover the current level of parking demand, and will fall short with the planned introduction of new bus bays.
    -The space allotted for "carpool pickup" in the new garage is too small. It only allows for 6 or 7 cars to queue. In reality, the slug lines are regularly 20+ cars long at any given time.
    -The garage seems to prioritize buses and bus bays over carpooling. It is unclear where these buses will be going to, and the buses seem to be taking over the space allotted for carpoolers.
    -The county is equipping the garage with the ability to take payments for parking. Currently carpoolers park for free - with the county leasing parking spaces that we already pay for with our taxes!

I am not sure why the county is leaving sluggers as an afterthought. We as a community keep hundreds or thousands of additional cars off the roads every day and provide a direct commuting route for people traveling in and out of DC.

There are already ample bus bays at the nearby Franconia springfield Metro station and Springfield mall. Why are sluggers being pushed aside?

I urge you to please work with the transportation folks to alter the design of the garage to better accommodate sluggers and carpoolers. This could be as simple as adding additional parking and planning for a large enough designated pickup and dropoff location not shared with buses. We would like to keep this 30+ year tradition going.

Sent from my iPhone